Skip to main content

DIY can dispenser






I wanted to add a can dispenser to my large awkward pantry to try and utilize all the space. First we got a sheet of plywood from our local White Mt Lumber then we cut it down to 3 1/2' x 7'. If it sounds huge that's because our pantry's huge. The first thing I did was stain the plywood because even though it is for our pantry I wanted it to look good and not like all the ones I've seen on Pinterest. Not pictured: After I put a coat of stain on I used a brush and some white painted and just dabbed a little paint on the end of the brush and did long quick brush strokes to get an antiqued white finish.
Then we (my carpenter and I aka my husband) started cutting the slots for the cans. We decided to make two separate sections for cans, one on the top and one on the bottom. We measured the cans that I had the most of and got the dimensions for the can slots off of them. Why do cans have to come in a million different and sizes??


We cut as many boards as we needed for each can slot and then we cut thin one inch pieces to frame the cans in on each slot. This way the cans could slide down the slots without falling out. This picture doesn't even do justice to how amazing it turned out. I left two slots open so we could use them as little shelves. They weren't secured in this picture, hence why they aren't level.  
This is how it looks in our pantry. I was beyond exited about it. I love that it shows me how much food storage I have.... or don't have. When I'm writing my grocery list I can just walk in the pantry and take inventory of what I need. If you are thinking about making one of these DO IT.! You wont regret it I promise.

Tips: Pre drill each hole before screwing it together. This helps prevent the wood from splitting. Also when you hang up the dispenser on the wall make sure you find the studs in the wall to screw the can dispenser to. Also it's so much easier to paint each part before you assemble.
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

DIY Blanket Ladder   I've been loving the blanket ladders so I decided to build my own. First I ripped down some boards we had in the garage to 1 1/2"x 1 1/2" by x 5' long. Then I cut 4-18" ladder rungs. I decided to fasten it all together with 2" screws. I predrilled all my screw holes so the wood wouldn't split. I don't mind the screws being visible but if you do you can always counter sink the screw holes and plug the hole with a dowel and sand it smooth.  The first rung is on a 13" center from the top of the ladder. The other 3 are on 10" centers. Then I just used some left over stain I had (dark walnut) and stained each of them. Tada just like that you have your own blanket ladders.

DIY Shiplap

  Driving home today I was telling my husband I need to hurry home and update my blog about how I did the shiplap wall in our house. This was his response,"Why are you just giving away that info for free." Well you know why? It's because I've so appreciated people who have been willing to share FREE info with me. I'm a stay at home mom who loves to decorate and to do all things cute but I don't have a lot of extra money to spend on that stuff (and let's be honest my husbands turned me into a tight wad like him<insert cringe emoji here>. Ok back to the shiplap.........      First things first. My husband brought to my attention--very kind and jokingly---after my post about self-reliance that he did do the math to figure out how wide the strips of shiplap needed to be and how many I would need to finish the wall. So I give credit where credit is due;) like I said he is a good egg. We needed a 4x8' sheet 3/8ths" sanded plywood from Lo