Skip to main content

Chalk paint for anything





I have chalk painted anything from old dressers, stepstools, old hutches, kitchen tables and my two year old kitchen cabinets. Chalk paint is the best thing ever invented. My friend Chelsey first introduced me too it and I have been in love since. The recipe I use is 2 cups of latex paint, 5 tbs of Plaster Paris, 3tbsp of water.(Don't go buy the expensive chalk paint, this recipe works every bit as good and is lots cheaper) After years of using this I've learned you should combine Plaster of Paris and water first and use a wire whisk to mix them together and get all the clumps out and then add to latex paint and stir well. If you don't do this you will end up with clumps in your paint. The best part about this paint is you don't have to sand first.. That's honestly what sold me on the chalk paint. I wouldn't refinish near as many things if I had to sand first.... I hate sanding!!!
 I absolutely love white kitchen cabinets and I kick myself every day that I didn't just spend the extra money and do all white in my kitchen. I don't understand why the paint grade cabinets are more expensive than the stain grade.... but oh well. My island cabinets where originally black and I wanted to lighten up my kitchen a little so after contemplating it for awhile one day I decided to just do it.
Here's another picture of my kitchen from a different angle.

 



     I started on the back because it's just regular old bead board and that way if I decided I didn't like it I would just paint it back black. I had just gotten started and my husband called. I asked my daughter to answer it... The first words out of her mouth were, "Dad, Mom's painting the cabinets." I'm not one to keep secrets from my husband, but since I was just going to do the bead board I didn't think I needed to stress him out with asking first lol. (He say's I give him anxiety with all my projects!) The only thing he said was, "You know the cabinets are only two years old, right??" He's such a good sport though and trusts me with my  crazy ideas.
     I had to do 3 coats of paint on the bead board. I will warn you when you do the 1st coat you start to freak out a little because it doesn't look good at all. Before doing the next coat the 1st layer needs to be totally dry. I finished the bead board and was in love!!! But I decided I wouldn't make any rash decisions (because I tend to do that) and wait until my husband got home and see what he thought and see how I felt about it in the morning.

                                                    I know this picture isn't the best but you can see the difference!!!

     I woke up and loved it even more so I went ahead and took off all the cabinets doors, drawer faces, handles and knobs and started painting away.


     I can't remember for sure if I ended up doing 3 or 4 coats. I am in love with the antique, vintage look so before I put the varnish on I used a piece of sandpaper and distressed everything just a little.  Once all of the paint was dry I used a polyacrylic varnish (2-3 coats). Make sure you use a water base varnish on paint because if you use polyurethane, which is an oil base varnish it will turn whatever you are painting yellow. ( I know this from experience.)
   
    It's been a little over a month since I painted my kitchen island and so far I love it. My biggest worry was if they would be durable and so far I can say they have. My girls have defiantly put them to the test and they are holding up great.



Before

Comments

  1. I love this!! I think I might try it with my cabinets! Although my cabinets are just plain and boring and need some lovin'!! :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

DIY can dispenser

I wanted to add a can dispenser to my large awkward pantry to try and utilize all the space. First we got a sheet of plywood from our local White Mt Lumber then we cut it down to 3 1/2' x 7'. If it sounds huge that's because our pantry's huge. The first thing I did was stain the plywood because even though it is for our pantry I wanted it to look good and not like all the ones I've seen on Pinterest. Not pictured: After I put a coat of stain on I used a brush and some white painted and just dabbed a little paint on the end of the brush and did long quick brush strokes to get an antiqued white finish. Then we (my carpenter and I aka my husband) started cutting the slots for the cans. We decided to make two separate sections for cans, one on the top and one on the bottom. We measured the cans that I had the most of and got the dimensions for the can slots off of them. Why do cans have to come in a million different and sizes?? We cut as many boards
DIY Blanket Ladder   I've been loving the blanket ladders so I decided to build my own. First I ripped down some boards we had in the garage to 1 1/2"x 1 1/2" by x 5' long. Then I cut 4-18" ladder rungs. I decided to fasten it all together with 2" screws. I predrilled all my screw holes so the wood wouldn't split. I don't mind the screws being visible but if you do you can always counter sink the screw holes and plug the hole with a dowel and sand it smooth.  The first rung is on a 13" center from the top of the ladder. The other 3 are on 10" centers. Then I just used some left over stain I had (dark walnut) and stained each of them. Tada just like that you have your own blanket ladders.

Baby Farmhouse Table

I'm not sure if it's a good thing that I live an hour away from Lowes, Target and Hobby Lobby because when I get a chance to go to these stores I stock up and spend way too much money. I was wondering Lowes and found some coffee table legs and snatched them up, I really didn't know what I was going to do  with them so they sat in my garage for a few weeks. (The legs cost about $10 each.) In the mean time I decided I wanted to build a baby farmhouse table for my girls playroom. The first thing I did was build the inside frame like so... Disclaimer: I am by no means a pro at building and have never been taught, I've just watched and helped my husband build things and self taught. I'm still learning as I go. One thing I'm finding I need to add is a 2"x2" support in the middle of the frame to make it a little more sturdy. I planed some lumber down that we had in the garage and ripped down a 2"x 2" for the frame and a attached the