Skip to main content
                                                Western Laundry/bath/mudroom remodel

      My parents have always been so supportive of my siblings and I with anything we have ever wanted to do. From sports,horseshows, calf roping, my love for interior design/decorating and anything inbetween.My mom really has never cared for being in the house (she perfers the barn with her horses) and so I basically got to do what I wanted. Before I moved out and went to college I painted my room way too many times to count. My parents let me choose everything from the orange (it was a pretty orange if I do say so myself ;)) wall color to the $100 faucet, when they remodeled "the kids" bathroom about the time I was a freshman in high school..... so about 6 months ago when for the first time ever my mom actually wanted some remodeling done and had some ideas of what she wanted, I knew it would be the perfect opportunity to sort of thank her for letting me learn a lot about interior decorating on her house (good and some not so good).
Here's the before:


Don't mind all the mess!! The washer and dryer made a great work bench.








Everything was original to the house. We moved into this house when I was in kindergarten, so almost 20yrs ago.


After:
I started out with Jacobean stain and......hated how dark it was for the space. I ended up taking the whole wall down, sanding them all and re-stained them using Earl American colored stain. Sooo much better. 






My parents didn't want to buy new cabinets, so we left the existing ones. I painted them and added a stain glaze. These weren't my favorite project and I don't absolutely love how they turned out but they look better than before and saved some money.





My mom requested somewhere to put her Western Horseman magazines. I found these little gems at Hobby Lobby and they were a perfect addition.
I love how this remodel turned out, but I'm soo happy it's done. My husband and I agreed that it's easier to build a house than to remodel.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

DIY can dispenser

I wanted to add a can dispenser to my large awkward pantry to try and utilize all the space. First we got a sheet of plywood from our local White Mt Lumber then we cut it down to 3 1/2' x 7'. If it sounds huge that's because our pantry's huge. The first thing I did was stain the plywood because even though it is for our pantry I wanted it to look good and not like all the ones I've seen on Pinterest. Not pictured: After I put a coat of stain on I used a brush and some white painted and just dabbed a little paint on the end of the brush and did long quick brush strokes to get an antiqued white finish. Then we (my carpenter and I aka my husband) started cutting the slots for the cans. We decided to make two separate sections for cans, one on the top and one on the bottom. We measured the cans that I had the most of and got the dimensions for the can slots off of them. Why do cans have to come in a million different and sizes?? We cut as many boards...

Chalk paint for anything

I have chalk painted anything from old dressers, stepstools, old hutches, kitchen tables and my two year old kitchen cabinets. Chalk paint is the best thing ever invented. My friend Chelsey first introduced me too it and I have been in love since. The recipe I use is 2 cups of latex paint, 5 tbs of Plaster Paris, 3tbsp of water.(Don't go buy the expensive chalk paint, this recipe works every bit as good and is lots cheaper) After years of using this I've learned you should combine Plaster of Paris and water first and use a wire whisk to mix them together and get all the clumps out and then add to latex paint and stir well. If you don't do this you will end up with clumps in your paint. The best part about this paint is you don't have to sand first.. That's honestly what sold me on the chalk paint. I wouldn't refinish near as many things if I had to sand first.... I hate sanding!!! ...

Baby Farmhouse Table

I'm not sure if it's a good thing that I live an hour away from Lowes, Target and Hobby Lobby because when I get a chance to go to these stores I stock up and spend way too much money. I was wondering Lowes and found some coffee table legs and snatched them up, I really didn't know what I was going to do  with them so they sat in my garage for a few weeks. (The legs cost about $10 each.) In the mean time I decided I wanted to build a baby farmhouse table for my girls playroom. The first thing I did was build the inside frame like so... Disclaimer: I am by no means a pro at building and have never been taught, I've just watched and helped my husband build things and self taught. I'm still learning as I go. One thing I'm finding I need to add is a 2"x2" support in the middle of the frame to make it a little more sturdy. I planed some lumber down that we had in the garage and ripped down a 2"x 2" for the frame and a attached the ...